Information And Communications Technologies For Development (E-Volunteer)
Online placement (E-Volunteer)
Start Date: January 2020
Placement Length: 6 Months
E-Volunteers typically spend between 2-10 hours per week depending on project requirements
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada Only
The E-Volunteer’s Role
As a volunteer, you will support the implementation of new systems to contribute to the monitoring and evaluation of Cuso International’s programs.
You will contribute to the design, development, and deployment of the system and will provide technical assistance to staff in the use and adoption of the system.
You will also help document system processes and will work closely with the MEAL team and other Cuso technical staff.
- Support the system design, implementation, and configuration of the monitoring system to meet service requirements.
- Advise and support staff in the efficient use of the system.
- Support the creation of a dashboard to monitor progress against work plans and the achievement of milestones by programs.
- Support in the development of data-gathering forms, mobile data collection, and protocols to strengthen data structure and data gathering process for partners and country programs.
- Document processes for quick and easy replication by creating a user-friendly user manual.
- Work collaboratively with teams to explore the use of ICT4D beyond the current expectations and create opportunities for newer innovations.
- Ensure timely response to user support requests or promptly escalate issues as needed.
- Support staff orientation process for the monitoring system, technology, and devices.
- Ensure/Conduct user trainings, as appropriate on the system and devices.
- Configure desktops, laptops, tablets, and other peripheral devices to provide user access to the system.
- Support drafting the system policies, procedures, and service standards to ensure consistency in service delivery.
- Develop and provide capacity building (training, coaching, on-the-job support) to staff and partners in the usage and adoption of databases, systems and related applications, achieving results through designing, planning, and implementing workshops
- Bachelor's degree in IT, Sciences, and other related fields (Computer Science, Computer Networking, Programming, and Information Systems). Significant work experience in a directly related field combined with appropriate training/certificates will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Significant work experience in IT, data science, data visualization, and mobile data collection.
- AWS Amazon QuickSight or Power BI Certified required.
- Microsoft SharePoint Foundations or equivalent desirable.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Specialist or equivalent desirable.
- Project Management certification highly desirable.
- A minimum of 5 years of work-related experience.
- Track record of reliable and consistent performance.
- Experience in introduction, design, implementation, and adoption of relevant technology and data management tools.
- Mobile data collection such as Open Data Kit (ODK)
- Skilled in IT and data science and data visualization.
- Knowledge of MS Project and Office applications.
- Grasp of complex network, security, mobile, desktop, server, telephony, backup, application, and database technologies.
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at functional level.
Cuso International’s e-volunteering program welcomes new and returning volunteers to work with our international program partners and volunteers remotely. E-Volunteering offers many of the benefits gained from international volunteering, while having the extra advantage of fitting into one's regular weekly schedule without needing a passport. Contributing and giving back to a community, gaining new skills, and making new connections are common benefits of e-volunteering and for Cuso International it is a great opportunity to engage more people in its mission.
E-Volunteers are expected to supply their own basic home office equipment, Internet and have a moderate knowledge of computer technology. Some of our partners are located in remote areas with unreliable internet connection. In addition, for some of our partners, this is their first experience working with e-volunteers so flexibility and patience is a valuable e-volunteer characteristic.
Not sure whether e-volunteering may be right for you? Take this short survey to find out!
About Us and the Project
Cuso International is a not-for-profit development organization that works to eradicate poverty and inequality. Each year, we mobilize hundreds of volunteer professionals to work alongside local partners to maximize their impact through capacity building. We work in partnership with governments, civil society organizations, multilateral agencies and the private sector to develop and deliver programs aimed at advancing gender equality, promoting the empowerment of women and girls, and improving access to and quality of economic opportunities for young people.
Project - Sharing Canadian Expertise for Inclusive Development and Gender Equality (SHARE)
Cuso International will deliver the Sharing Canadian Expertise for Inclusive Development and Gender Equality (SHARE) project, with a contribution from Global Affairs Canada (GAC) over seven years (2020-2027). SHARE aims to improve the economic and/or social well-being of the poorest, most marginalized and vulnerable people, particularly women and girls, in developing countries, with a view to contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals. In addition to increasing engagement of Canadians in international development and key global issues, this project will aim to increase the performance of country partners to deliver more inclusive, innovative and environmentally sustainable development initiatives that advance gender equality, in support of the action areas of Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy.